In this section we shall travel along farm tracks, most of which are paved with concrete, with some very steep parts. The hills that surround this valley contrast with the flat bottom. The fluvial terraces of the River Ter, set at different heights, as befitting of a river with a long history, have fertile plains that provide excellent grazing land for horses and cows. The last 2.3 km take us along the C-26 road with a hard shoulder that protects us from the traffic, which can be quite busy here.


SANT JOAN DE LES ABADESSES
The town is characterised by the monastery and the medieval structure of the Main Square and the narrow streets that surround it. Encircling the town is a solid wall, remains of which can be still be found at its western end.


THE MONASTERY
This was founded in 887 by Guifré el Pilós for his daughter Emma and the religious community that gave the town its name. This monastery is of great importance, not only because of its architecture, but also due to the sculptures it contains. Some of the most important works here are the Descent from the Cross, seven polychrome wooden figures, almost life size, which date back to the 12th century. The monastery’s museum is a faithful representation of the intense social and cultural life of this religious centre. We can visit the cloister, the church and the Abbey Palace, which houses the tourist information centre. 


THE CHURCH OF SANT POL AND THE OLD BRIDGE
We will cross over to the right bank of the river via the Old Bridge, built between 1128 and 1138, demolished by the earthquake in 1428, and again during the Spanish Civil War, but now restored. First, however, we shall pass the ruins of the peculiar Church of Sant Pol (1142), destroyed in 1690 in an attack by the Duke of Noailles, and conserved in this condition to the present day. 
 

Route track Download track
Meeting point
2013 © Pirinexus. All rights reserved C/ Emili Grahit 13, 9-B · 17002 Girona · T 972 48 69 50 info@pirinexus.cat | Legal Note | Cookies | Privacity policy | Sitemap |