Heading to Torroella, the route runs through wide agricultural roads with little traffic and compact gravel paving in a good state. We find an asphalt stretch on arriving in Ullà, where more care should be taken in view of the increase in motorised traffic. The crossing over the River Ter should be taken on the right- hand pavement; the pavement is very wide and has been designed for both pedestrians and cyclists. From here onwards we follow the roads along the bank of the River Ter and later the Daró. Care should be taken when climbing the riverbank up to the road as the traffic at this point passes at high speed. Once we have crossed the road, we will continue to follow the agricultural roads on the left-hand side which are paved with compact gravel.


EL MONTGRÍ
The calcareous Montgrí Massif that dominates this stretch is a unique geological structure. Located at the southern limit of the geological Pyrenees, it can be found quite a way from the mountain range and in the middle of the plain. 

This is a highly strategic location. The Palaeolithic vestiges of some of the caves (el cau del Duc or «Duke’s Cave») and the Castle of Montgrí provide some examples of this. The unfinished castle that sits on top of the central coppice of the Massif was built between 1294 and 1302 by Jaume II, as a vanguard in his dispute against the Count of Empúries. An impressive view of the Empordanese coastline can be observed from its towers.


ULLÀ AND TORROELLA DE MONTGRÍ
The first town we find on the south side is Ullà, with the Church of Santa Maria being of particular interest. On leaving the town, after passing by apple orchards, we reach the River Ter that will take us toTorroella. At the entrance to the town, before crossing the bridge over the Ter and continuing our route, we have two more options: turn left and visit the lovely town of Plaça de la Vila (Town Square) in Torroella de Montgrí. Torroella, or cross the road and follow the purple signs of the Baix Empordà cycle tourism network that will take us to the Gola del Ter (the name given to the river mouth) and the town of L’Estartit.


GUALTA
Having passed the River Ter and re-taken up the Daró, we now find ourselves in Gualta with its old bridge with five arches (16th and 17th centuries), the Church of Gualta and, a little further on, the mill; a construction with the remains of a fortified structure.
 

Route track Download track
Meeting point
2013 © Pirinexus. All rights reserved C/ Emili Grahit 13, 9-B · 17002 Girona · T 972 48 69 50 info@pirinexus.cat | Legal Note | Cookies | Privacity policy | Sitemap |